Thursday 6 September 2012

LOST AND FOUND

A few months ago, I read Geneen Roth's, WOMEN, FOOD AND GOD.  It rocked my soul.  So when I spotted her latest book, LOST AND FOUND, I snatched it up and downloaded it to my I-pad.  In the aftermath of the Bernie Madoff  debacle,which wiped out her life savings, she explores her relationship with money and the deep-seated beliefs which drive her spending habits, her investment strategy and her sense of self-worth.  Again, she somehow climbed into the deepest recesses of my own unconscious, and rooted around to dig up thoughts, feelings and beliefs that have shaped by own life.  I read it cover to cover in a couple of hours.

Her writing holds up a mirror for me....a magnifying mirror that illuminates each and every imperfection.  She pulls off the covers to reveal my craziness. She forces a conversation with myself. A difficult conversation.  Her brutally honest revelations of her own convuluted manipulations of her thought processes and behaviors give me permission to be honest with myself.  She encourages me to take ownership of my dark side. She helps me examine hidden feelings of shame and unworthiness. She nudges me forward, encouraging me to accept my imperfections. She illuminates my shadow side and in doing so reveals my humanity. She gives me permission  to be real, without offering answers, without making excuses.  She reminds me that I am not special; not especially good or bad, and more like other people than I might imagine.

This is a book for anyone who has an emotionally charged  relationship with money and the things that money can buy. That's pretty much everyone I know...





No comments:

Post a Comment